A timeline of what happened
Seow Bei Yi
SINGAPORE - On Jan 26, a 14-year-old Secondary 3 schoolboy was found dead at the foot of a block of flats in Yishun. He had lived on the 14th floor with his family.
The boy, Benjamin Lim, had earlier been questioned by the police in connection with an allegation involving outrage of modesty.
In Parliament on Tuesday (March 1), Home Affairs Minister K. Shanmugam laid out the facts of the case. Here is a summary:
Jan 25: In the lift
- Benjamin makes a detour to another block on his way home from school
- He allegedly follows an 11-year-old girl into a lift at the ground floor
- What happens in the lift is caught on CCTV; Benjamin later admits to touching a part of the girl's body
- He steps out of the lift at the 13th floor
- The pair have a brief exchange, but she does not follow him
- He gets into the lift at the 12th floor and goes to the ground floor
- The girl tells her father what happened, and they go to the police
- From CCTV footage, police identify the boy's school from his uniform